Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Fill 'er up!

Many of the grocery stores also feature their own gas bars, and offer discounts for filling up your car if you are a member.

Safeway - 5 cent per litre discount with grocery purchase (I believe the purchase needs to be over $35). There is an expiry date to use it by however.  With groceries purchased in April, I have until mid June to use the discount.

Co-op - You earn 3 cents per litre in grocery money each time you fill up and present your member card. 

Superstore - is there a gas discount or do you get dollars to shop?

Myself personally, I live near a Petro Canada where I use a Petro Canada card to get discounts. After earning 18 000 points I qualified to receive a 5 cent per litre discount card. I now save a couple bucks everytime I fill. This is the easiest and most convenient option for me given the proximity of Petro Can to my home. Part of saving is taking into account how far it would require you go in order to get the savings. If you need to drive an extra 20 minutes to a particular grocery store for a special deal, are you truly saving once you factor in your gas and time?   For example, there is a new bulk grocery store in the NE, but after factoring in the time it would require for me to get there, I realized I can probably find equivalent deals closer to home, and even if I pay a bit more, I probably end up saving just as much in gas $.

Where do you fill up?  Do you take advantage of grocery store gas bars & associated savings?

2 comments:

  1. Superstore offers 'SuperBucks' coupons... depending on the gas bar (Cochrane is higher than the one in Signal Hill for example... but I can use the coupon at any ExtraFoods or Superstore) it ranges from 2.5 to 5 cents a litre as a coupon (that has an expiry date, much like the RevvedUp Rewards at Coop) to use in store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fill up at Co-op almost every time, to get the money off groceries. Right now I've about $20 in coupons waiting to be used. Plus we're Co-op members so it makes sense for us.

    ReplyDelete