Monday, April 25, 2011

Let's talk about Sobey's

I'm not a Sobey's shopper.... yet.  I've been thinking the past few days about how I only check out the Safeway & Superstore flyers.. never Sobey's or Co-op.  I think this is for two reasons.  The first being that in my mind, Co-op & Sobey's are two of the most expensive places to shop.  Second, because they carry very few non-dairy options for my hubs.  However, my girlfriend lives in an area of the city where an IGA was converted to a Sobey's.  It is walking distance from her home, and is the most logical place for her to get her groceries (plus she probably doesn't have any strange associations to the store like I do).

I think my perception has to change.  She has been posting some Sobey deals up on my Facebook page, and I must say I'm impressed.  I did some research, and a Sobey's card is just as easy (and free) to sign up for as a Safeway card. 

Here are the awesome BOGO deals at my local Sobey's this week:

Boneless Pork Loin Chops
Breyers Icecream
Kraft Cracker Barrel Cheese
Navel Oranges
Renees Gourmet Cooking Sauce
Raisin Bread (I normally make my own bread, but for $2.99 for one loaf, and you get one free, I think I'll try their Raisin Bread out!)
Goldfish
Quaker Quick Oats
Astro Yogourt
Chicken Breast with back attached

These are just some of the awesome deals and freebies.  Now of course, some may still be cheaper elsewhere.  For instance, I bet that Goldfish are still a better deal bought at Costco.  But I don't think you can go wrong with the Pork Chops, the Chicken, the Icecream, Cheese, or Quaker Oats.

I think one more plastic card and flyer will be added to my shopping regime.

5 comments:

  1. Based on this, I also began to think about Sobey's and today went to check one out, as it was very close to my daughter's gymboree class. I bought the following BOGO items:
    - Goldfish crackers ($3.69)
    - Duncan Hines cake mix ($2.49)
    - Dr. Oetker Creme Caramel mix ($2.19)
    - Glad Tall Kitchen Bags ($6.79)
    - Breyer's classic ice cream ($7.29)
    - Kraft Cheese 300 g ($6.99)

    In each case, I had no trouble mixing different flavours/types of each item for the BOGO. I think I'll be checking out the Sobey's flyer more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Carmen - Pam here :) Thanks for creating this blog, it is very helpful! I'm glad you posted this because as I was doing my shopping last night at Sobey's, I was wondering why you don't shop there. I agree they have some pretty good deals especially with their BOGO deals and dollar days. I'm very interested to see what you find at Sobey's each week!

    As for Coop, I also think it is fairly expensive but I wonder what the pay off is with a Coop number and buying gas to get the money vouchers for groceries. I've never taken the time to figure it out but it might be worth looking into. The equity cheque at the end of the year can be a nice treat.

    Looking forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - great to see all the deals you got!

    Pam - My parents shop at Co-op and have been members for years. As a result they get a pretty sweet dividend cheque. But yes, not sure what the diffence between what their dividend is and how much you'd save by shopping around. As for gas, the 7-11 near our home has a Petro Canada. I had enough Petro Canada points saved up to get myself a 5 cent per litre discount every time I fill up. This ends up being cheaper than getting gas at Costco! Perhaps I should do a post on other ways I save beyond just groceries?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy so many of the BOGO at Sobey's when they have their flyer sales. My killer steal is the side kicks from ?Liptons. Love them on chaos days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anybody know how often Sobey's does the BOGO offers?

    ReplyDelete