Monday, May 23, 2011

Art of Using Coupons

I've been collecting & using coupons since April, but I'm only just starting to figure out the 'art' of using coupons.  Yes, there is a technique.  A simple one, and I'm going to share it with you.

Only use coupons when the item is also on sale.

I told you - easy right?  Ok, it does sound alot simpler than it is.  But almost two months into it, I'm getting a bit better at it.

First, you need to gather enough coupons of items you'll actually use.  I'm already finding I'm getting caught in the trap of gathering coupons for items my family previously would not have eaten (like Quaker granola bars), but I pick them up because 'heh!  That's a treat!'.  I need to curb this or my children will think grocery shopping and couponing means goodies for them.  All in moderation I suppose.

Once you have your coupons, you need to keep track of their expiry date, and keep on the lookout for the items on sale.  And be careful of where they are on sale.  Items at sale at SB's, SF, or Co-op are not necessarily items that are cheap.  I have encountered quite a few times where sale items are still more expensive than at SP.  For example:

Windex was BOGO last week at SF.  It ended up being the same price as buying them individually on any given day at SP.
Catelli Smart Pasta -on sale at SF this week for 2/$5.  The spaghetti at SP is $1.97 per box.  Still a $1 cheaper when you buy two.
Tostitos - SF likes to feature these for 2/$6.  You can find them at SP whenever you like for $2.97, and sometimes even for $2.47.

The key is being on the lookout.

Here are some great deals I've picked up this week, and used coupons for:

Tide 26 load regular laundry detergent.  At SF for BOGO.  They are regularly $7.99.  I got two for that price, plus had a $5 off coupon. The deteregent only cost me $2.99.

RedHot Hot Sauce - at SF BOGO, priced at $5.59 (per bottle at SP are $4.37).  I got two bottles, plus I had a $1 off coupon.  My total cost for two was $4.59.

Tylenol Extra Strength 100 count - these were on sale at SP, 150 count for $7.79.  I ended up getting a 100 count with a travel 10 count included instead as it featured $5 extra of coupons inside (bonus!).  I had a $2 off coupon, so the Tylenol cost me just over $5 (don't forget I have $5 of savings inside the box as well!).

Off Bug Spray - SP had this on sale for just over $7.  I also had a $2 off coupon and got it for $5.  Sweet!

It's amazing how much you can save when you double up the coupons.

Ok, now onto great deals in the flyers this week (& not so great deals):

SB's - Breyers icecream $2.99, limit of 2.  (I love their commercial that says you know it's a deal when there is a limit) ;)
SB's - NOT a deal.  Groundbeef on for $6.49/kg.  Costco has it for $5.49 a kg on any given day.
SF - Tide laundry detergent & Purex laundry detergent - BOGO.
SF - RedHot Sauce - BOGO
SB's - Kiwis, BOGO
SB's - Corn on the Cob - $1.99 I believe for 6, limit of 12

I know that Fantastik and a couple other cleaners are on sale at SF for BOGO this week but I haven't compared them to regular SP costs.

And lastly, SP has some great coupons available when you come in the store right now.  Lil Ones Yogourt for $.75 cents off, Tampax $1 off, and $1.50 off Finish detergent.

What deals have you found this week?  (and I know you are all out there lurking, please do say hello.  I like comments.  I might assume nobody reads this and I'd stop posting.  Would you really want that?  (Yes, I'm not below threats) ;)

ETA:  Finally got the Co-op flyer to load and there are lots of great deals there this week.  Old Dutch Tortilla Chips 3/$6, Dove Body Wash $2.99, Unico Beans 4/$5, Unico Tomatoes 4/$5, Breyers Icecream $2.99 (not sure if there is a limit).  This was all just at a quick glance.  Co-op is worth checking out this week!

5 comments:

  1. I wish we had a co-op here! but alas they all went under. I have used coupons for the obviuos kid stuff (diapers, wipes, formula...but tend to forget them) now am noting(sp) since Neil took a pay cut that I need to focus on them alot more...thanks to you I am finding coupons online so much easier to track down :) Thanks you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading these!! Keep posting them :) It inspires me to save money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh great tips. I'm learning, slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning too and because of this blog have been paying more attention to sales, coupons and trying to save some money (like not driving to the store for one item because I can). Even my husband is getting involved! The deals don't seem to come up much for things we eat now but I imagine that will change once our daughter gets a little bit older or I become a stay at home mom.... also with a gluten free diet I'm finding it more difficult but at least I am aware. Thanks Carmen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey all you smart ladies out there!!! Here's the thing...find coupons online or by clipping out of paper...then look for those items buy one get one free...then use the coupon...also do this on customer appreciation day(extra 10%off)Most manufacturers will send you coupons as well just call or email them.Usually you can also use a manufactures coupon as well as a store coupon, add this to a bogo and 10% off this is a great way to save!!! Good luck and happy hunting!!!

    ReplyDelete