Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One Step Furthur

Here's a personal challenge I'm not yet sure I should post... mostly because I'm not sure I can stick to it.  But here it goes!

Since starting the effort to trim down our grocery budget a month and a half ago, I have cut our monthly food bill by about $300.  Not only have I cut it significantly, I've also created quite a stockpile of items (perhaps I'll post a photo one day).  But I want to trim it even more, because our overall budget still makes me cringe.  When we went down to one income, sadly our bills still stayed the same.  Groceries are one area that I can easily control how much is spent, therefore how much we can save. 

I did some research tonight (Google can be called research right?) and the average 'couple with children' in Canada spends roughly $830 a month on food.  In Alberta, the average spent on food is around $650 (but this lumps together all types of households from one person upwards). 

I do feel content that we are spending the average amount per household, and creating a stockpile, but I also was reading some posts on SmartCanucks, that those crazy shopping savvy women usually spend $400 a month.  That is HALF what the typical household spends.

Now that I've created a stockpile, and know that my family spends about $30 a week in fresh produce, I think that perhaps a budget of $400 on groceries is acheivable.  That still leaves $70 a week to stockpile and deal shop with (given alot of our staples are already stocked up and I would just be replenshing).

It's food for thought (ha!).  But I might make this my personal challenge in June.  And I think in order to stick to it it would need to be a cash system.

Thoughts on this?  Possible?  Impossible?  My family will starve?

No comments:

Post a Comment