Sunday, May 15, 2011

What to do with ALL that food?

You may have been wondering after this post, how I would possibly use all that produce.  Here's the scoop (and some ideas for yourself if you are now considering getting a box!).

I wasn't too worried about the fruit, as we go through fruit rather quickly in our home.  The struggle was figuring out how to use all the veggies.  Here's where it all went:

Carrots - I ran all the carrots (both bags worth) through the Food Processor, then steam blanched them.  They were then saved in 1C portions and put in our freezer.  I will use these in soups, sauces, stews etc.

Spinach - similarly, I steam blanched the spinach and also froze it in usable portions.  I'll secretly mix this into sauces & lasagnas (small enough so the kids don't know it's there... I like to be sneaky like that).  I will admit I did make a Spinach Frittata one night for dinner.  The kids like eggs so I thought it would fly.  It did not.  Lesson learned.


Lettuce - my Mom loves salad, so I gave her the head of lettuce. 

Zucchini - the zucchini was quickly made into a batch of zucchini bread.  I also added in some dark chocolate chips :)  Half the loaf was frozen, and half is currently in our kitchen.  I had never made zucchini bread before for the kids, but they love it!

Tomatoes - haven't touched these yet, but I will most likely freeze them as well.

Broccoli - one bunch will be used in a stir fry this week, and the other will be frozen.

Onions & Potatoes - stored downstairs in our food storage area.

Green Peppers - I am going to food process these tomorrow and make a spaghetti sauce with them.

Corn - for dinner, tonight!

I also made a batch of muffins this week from Deceptively Delicious, which used up one of the apples and some of the processed carrots.


I love that I have so much produce frozen and ready to use at a moments notice.

 What would you do with all that produce?

No comments:

Post a Comment